Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Wide-eyed

Costa Rica
was beautiful in many ways-San Jose was gorgeous (but cold), i met some wonderful people in hostels, and enjoyed my birthday on the beach, watching the sun set before celebrating with Gretchen and new found friends in the evening.
it was expensive though, by expensive i mean non-Nicaraguan prices of course
and traveling from city to city was an arduous process
however

i had the chance to see the rain forest.

this was a completely thrilling experience

do you remember when you were a kid and watched those cool science shows, like let's say Bill Nye the Science Guy?
remember that sense of excitement, of being wowed?
well that's how I felt as I learned about the amazing ways in which the world is crafted
I signed up for the 3 in 1 rain forest tour. this included riding on a boat down the river, a short hike, lunch, and an aerial tram through the depths of the forest

it was absolutely beautiful. I saw monkeys, birds, iguanas, frogs and all sorts of animals in their natural habitats, this beats going to the zoo any day

on the aerial tram ride we moved through the three layers of the forest

if everyone got a chance to smell how fresh the air was there, there would be no question as to why saving the environment is so important

it was like breathing water, that's the best way i can describe it

but in Costa Rica I felt like a tourist. I felt as if Nicaragua was my home and I was just visiting for a while. but of course the United States is my home and I'm visiting Nicaragua as well

so this is when reality sets in

I have three weeks left

a completely unbelievable idea

I also have a very real fear
that when I return back to the US, somehow I will forget all that I've seen and all that I've felt

I've heard the horror stories of those who have traveled, stepped out of their comfort zones, explored the world outside of New Hampshire, New Jersey or whatever state they may reside in and returned to their home towns, all that they know, and seamlessly fallen back into the bubble

i don't want that
i want to continue to feel changed and renewed

these last weeks i'm walking through this country with eyes wide open
hoping to record everything that i see,
making an indelible impression in my mind's eye
i want to remain changed
i want a new me to return home

No comments: