Sunday, February 22, 2009

Y la musica de los Estados Unidos

I've been convinced
Nicaragua is not in central time. Instead it's in its own unique time zone in which hours are minutes, and minutes are seconds
This has to be true
How else can I explain how five weeks have flown by?
Everyday I continue to be amazed at the fact that I am living in this country.
It really does feel like a dream.

Part of living here as a college student is of course experiencing the night life. Much time has passed since I first have gone out dancing here, but I thought it was important to mention a key thing.

American music is alive and well in this country.

Maybe this is obvious. I knew before coming here that the United States influence is present here but it is quite a different thing when you're out with friends, in Spanish speaking country listening to Brittney Spears and Christina Aguilera for the majority of the night.

But the presence of American Music has lead to funny situations. If you're fluent in English you never really notice how much slang and exaggerated phrases are built into the language. Phrases we use all the time "That sucks", "I'm starving", "He's a coach potato" do not make any sense if you don't have a full grasp of the language. Music of course, especially pop and hip-hop is littered with these types of phrases. So I have to admit it's been really funny explaining what a "man-eater" is and what "she hit the floor" means to friends.

But there is still that longing for latin music.

Since more weeks have passed I have found the elusive nighttime spots that play the rhythms of this country. Just yesterday I saw an amazing performance from a Nicaraguan band. It was those nights that I had the best times.

So I say long live merengue, bachata, palo de mayo, cumbia, salsa, all the music that really makes me feel connected to Latin America.

Once you feel, I mean really feel the music of Latin America, you will keep on dancing and never look back.

No comments: