Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Spanglish doesn't fly

School officially started on Monday
when i told my friends back in the US they were immediately jealous
"So you've been bumming around this whole time!" No not exactly. I've been taking Spanish prep courses and getting acclimated to a completely new environment, which of course at times has been hard, but also amazing

However a small Spanish prep class is nothing compared to full blown literature and history in another language

quickly, i learned Spanglish does not fly

I was making it through my classes for the day. History wasn't half bad. Hispanic American Literature was alright. But then I got to Introduction to Literature, a class that I believed would be interesting. How are the fundamental concepts of literature taught in a different country? However I was mistaken when I believed that because it was an intro class I could breeze through and remain an innocent bystander in the classroom. Instead I was asked to creatively introduce myself and give my own definition of the meaning of literature. In Spanish.

The class was patient with me however, as I tried my best to mentally translate my ideas from English to Spanish. Every now and then I would mistakenly say a word in English only to receive a little glare from my teacher. This glare was the "sorry bud your not in Kansas anymore, rev up the Spanish"

In a way its a good thing
Why should I be accommodated because I don't fully know the language of the country?
It's my job to adjust to the culture here not for it to adjust to me.

So in my daily life I've made some changes. No more watching TV in English. Talk more extensively with all the members of my family even though its difficult. Try desperately not to speak English to the other exchange students here (this is by far the hardest).

It's tough. But when my spanglish goes from spanglish to spanish
it'll all be worth it

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great to see you having such terrific experiences. Last time I saw you, you were maybe 6 or 7 years old back in Detroit. I can relate to your situation from my time in the Peace Corps. It takes a little while to really get the hang of the language. Know that your Spanish is improving everyday more than you realize.

I saw your father and grandmother at my Mom's funeral 2 weeks ago. None of that has anything to do with Nicaragua, I know. Just a note to let you know people are reading your words and excited about all your progress. This semester will change your life. Keep up the good work and stay safe down there!

Seth

Unknown said...

I'm watching with amazement your transitions during this educational experience. Stay strong and focused on your goals and be intense on the language practice. Good luck on the rest of your experience...