Monday, January 12, 2009

Tres dias

I haven't left yet.
I'm in my hometown of Detroit, Michigan awaiting my departure on Friday, January 16th.
There's a lot of last minute running around. Mostly trips to CVS and Target, picking up sunscreen and bug spray, hair combs, and toothpaste. Long phone conversations with family and friends. Now the jitters have officially kicked in. I just got back from my first trip to California. I saw Pasadena and many different parts of the city of Los Angeles with my best friends and roommates. There was Spanish everywhere. The street signs, the ads, the music. That taste of the west coast made me even more nervous and excited for my journey that is to come.

Of course I've read the horror stories about the possible dangers.

In fact I see them everyday. Whenever I tell someone I'm studying abroad in Central America there's a look of surprise followed by a "Be careful out there!" then followed by a "We'll I'm sure you will have a great time." I'm hoping both will happen. That I will be careful and have the time of my life.

For now Nicaragua is a dream, an idea that exists only in my imagination.
Soon it will be my reality.
I can almost feel myself stepping off of the plane and into a world I've never seen before.
I'm nervous, but I am so ready.

1 comment:

Angela said...

Hey Chica!! I am so excited for you. I know that you will have a great time. You are in the air now on your way to add another experience to your life resume. I can't wait to hear about your first day experience in Nicaragua. Dont forget to strike a pose (lol)

Love ya