Sunday, January 18, 2009

Te sin azucar

This is my second day in Nica and already I have learned many things.
Firstly now I know how new immigrants to the United States feel when they first arrive. Let's just say I have been doing a lot of smiling and nodding because there is so much that I cannot understand yet. My host mother, Marina, a heavy set bright eyed older woman has been very understanding. She tells me her husband is away on business in Spain and that he should be back soon. I meet her son as well who is in his late twenties and has the cutest daughter imaginable: 7 month old Emily who giggles and smiles at me when I first meet her.

Then there is Maete, my little sister who is at the tender age of fourteen. She tells me about life as a teenager here. Everything from the music that is played here (bachata, merengue, salsa, and the infamous reggaeton) to the coolest clothes. When I first meet her I have on a fitted T-shirt and a long skirt. I figure it's better to be conservative than sorry. She asks me if I always dress so formally and tells me that I should wear "mini faldas" or mini skirts instead. So it's a bit more liberal than I thought, but for now I think I will stick to my guns.

I have seen several parts of the country already. Catalina which is beautiful. It's a giant volcano and touristy site. Today I am going to Granada which according to my sister is the most beautiful place in the country. I have also seen the incredible poverty here. There are beautiful houses like the one I live in. Surrounded by flowers and trees. Then there are the places where people literally live in wooden and metal shacks. Selling goods on the sides of the streets. The class divide is painfully apparent.

This morning I had a light breakfast. Bread with pineapple jam and fruit. I ask for tea and Marina brings me a piping hot cup of black tea. I ask for sugar and she says "tengo algún si quieres, pero siempre tenemos té sin azúcar" (i have sugar if you want but we always have tea without it" I decide not to have any sugar with my tea. When in Rome do as the Romans do.

2 comments:

Angela said...

Hey Chica! I am glad you are enjoying yourself and your new family. You finally got a little sister!!! I can't believe it, this is the first time in your life that you did not have meat in your meal. What is Nica doing to you : )

Unknown said...

hey girl!!

Im so happy your family is so wonderful.
1. is the 20 year old son cute?
2. I'm super jealous of the weather u must be experiencing right now.